Dancing in the Rain
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 " alt="Slideshow Image 3" /> src="http:>

A Trisomy 18 Journey

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Reaching Out

We are not alone. There are many other families living with trisomy 18 scattered around the country but until recently we had little to no contact with any of these families. I finally found the blog of a mom with a 2 year old precious girl with t18 and an older and younger child. I emailed this mom and we began communicating. She has been very patient in answering my questions and helping me to see things in a better light. She also "introduced" me to some other t18 moms who then led me to some online support groups. These groups have been an amazing source of information and encouragement so far. I can't believe it took so long to find them! While on one of the boards one day I found a mom who also lives in Virginia and has an ELEVEN YEAR OLD daughter with t18! This family lives a few hours away but happened to be in our area for a sports tournament this weekend. I immediately invited them over for a visit and they were gracious in coming. Their youngest daughter was not with them but we were thrilled to meet this strong mom and her 2 great teenagers. They shared their story and it is definitely one with a lot of hope, joy, and love in addition to the challenges. The dedication and strength I have found in these fellow t18 moms is infectious, if that's possible. I am still overwhelmed much of the time with all of the what ifs and challenges ahead, but we are not alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment