Dancing in the Rain
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 " alt="Slideshow Image 3" /> src="http:>

A Trisomy 18 Journey

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. -- Vivian Greene

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Illuminate Week 3

Grateful

The third week's Illuminate journal assignment was to describe something we are grateful for. The photo assignment was to take 100 steps at a time and then stop and compose a photo at the 100th step. I did that but also took a few extra photos that spoke to me. The first setting was Great Falls National Park and the second was Julia's cemetery. 

As a side note, I completed this workshop in the spring, which is why there are many references to the changing of seasons from winter to spring even though now we are in the summer months!

1970 02 03_1959
Sun shining through on rough, rocky waters. Great Falls National Park.
2013 03 30_1958
The sun still shines, even with clouds moving through.
1970 02 03_1965
A broken tree still pointing towards the sun.
1969 12 31_1960
A bare tree, waiting for spring.
These days I am grateful that spring has arrived. Even though winter's temperatures linger and the trees are still mostly bare, my calendar says it is spring. Spring brings us closer to the sun. Spring brings color. Spring brings hope. Spring brings new life. As powerful as death often feels, the arrival of spring reminds us that death does not have the last word.
The last two winters were so very long. Julia was born and diagnosed with trisomy 18 just before winter officially began in 2010. Julia passed away at the beginning of winter in 2011. This winter was much calmer but still a constant reminder of what I have too recently endured. When Julia was here with me in 2011, she really began to improve and become more aware as spring set in. I associate that time in her life as one of cautious hope. In the spring of last year, just months after losing Julia, I was expecting my rainbow, Cohen. His spring time arrival again brought me hope. And so now, this year, with spring officially here and new life emerging from the ground around me, I feel more hopeful. Less sad. Grateful for spring.
IMG_3293
New life emerging.
IMG_3294
Color and light surround her resting place.

*This post was originally created as an assignment for the Illuminate online photography course. For my week one post, click here. For week two, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment